NEW MEMBERS OF WESTERLEIGH PARISH COUNCIL

(WARD OF COALPIT HEATH)

Westerleigh Parish Council is pleased to announce that two new members of Council were co-opted at the meeting held 6th February 2017 to represent the ward of Coalpit Heath.

The new members appointed are:

Councillor Philip King

Councillor Tristan Clark

Well done and welcome!

Half Penny Bridge – briefing notes from Network Rail

What are the works involved?

As part of the electrification of the Great Western Mainline we are having to ensure that all structures are both high enough for the Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) to pass underneath and to ensure they are safe. Halfpenny Footbridge (BS36 2TY) near Coalpit Heath needs to have the sides, or parapets, extended to 1.85m so that it is safe for OLE to pass beneath it. This will prevent access to the new electric power cables when they are installed. Will the bridge have to close for the works? As the bridge is narrow, we will be required to close the footpath to the general public while works are being undertaken in order to safely accommodate the work. These closures will have minimal impact as most of the works will be undertaken at night. Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to cross the bridge as normal when no works are being undertaken.

When will the work take place?

The closure will require to be reinstated for a series of Saturday nights and some midweek nights to allow the railway construction activities to be undertaken during a full possession of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited Registered Office: Network Rail, 2nd Floor, One Eversholt Street, London, NW1 2DN Registered in England and Wales No. 2904587 www.networkrail.co.uk the railway (when no trains are running) and as such night time working will be utilised between 22.00hrs and 08.00hrs on the following dates: Weekend nights in April; 9th, 16th, 23rd, Midweek nights in April; 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th Weekend nights in May; 7th, 14th, 21st, 22nd How will we manage the impact on our neighbours? We recognise that construction work on the railway can be disruptive to those living or working nearby. The nature of our work often means some disturbance is unavoidable, but please be assured that every effort is made to minimise any unnecessary noise and we have reminded all staff and contractors to be considerate of the environment they are working in.

Who to contact for more information?

Toby Elliott toby.elliott@networkrail.co.uk Public Affairs Manager 07734 648 408 Claire McGine claire.mcgine@networkrail.co.uk Communications Manager 07734 647 240

Councillor Surgeries

Members of Westerleigh Parish Council will be available between 6.30pm and 7.00pm (prior to Full Council meetings) to meet informally with members of the public.

This will give members of the public the change to raise any matters of concern with their local councillors in a less formal setting than at a public meeting.

Council are to trial this arrangement for a period of three months. Please note that all councillors will not be in attendance.

Councillor Surgeries will be held:-

Date                                        Time                             Venue

11th April 2016                     6.30-7.00pm                Manor Hall

9th May 2016                        6.30-7.00pm                Westerleigh Village Hall

6th June 2016                        6.30-7.00pm                Manor Hall

 Councillor can of course be contacted at any time.  Full details are shown on the website and noticeboards.

Network Rail drop in – Dodington Road bridge work Chipping Sodbury Town Hall 4pm – 8pm 15th March 16

Railway Upgrade Plan – Dodington Road – Parapet extension works

Drop-in invitation – 15th March 2016, Chipping Sodbury Town Hall.

Why electrify the railway?

Electrifying the Great Western will improve one of Britain’s busiest and oldest railways, better connecting major towns and cities across southern England and South Wales. It will make journeys smoother and more comfortable for passengers as well as quieter for people living near the railway, providing more seats, reducing costs as well as stimulating economic growth in the region.

What are the works involved?

Where any structure on the route has electrical contact wire and/or any other live parts passing through it, it is essential that we raise the height of the existing parapets (sides of the bridge) to 1.85 metres for added safety of users of the bridge and to comply with European standards.

On Dodington Road, we will provide a series of new galvanised mesh panels along the length of both existing parapets and fit anti-climb bricks to the outside of the bridge. We will also be undertaking any repair work to the bridge.

How does this affect me?

As the bridge is narrow, we will be required to close the road to all vehicle traffic in order to safely accommodate the work. Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to cross the bridge for the duration of the closure.

An approved diversion route approved by the relevant authorities will be introduced via Bowling Road, Culverhill Road, Rounceval Street, Bowling Hill, Station Road, Link Road, A432 Kennedy Way, A432 Cotswold Road, A432 Smarts Green Roundabout, A432 Badminton Road, Chapel Lane, Catchpot Lane, Dodington Lane.

This will be maintained on a daily basis.

When will the work take place?

The diversion and closure preparation works (signs and diversion route) will be take place over the weekend of 20th May and the full closure to vehicles will commence from 09.30hrs on Monday 23rd May. All non-railway

works are due to be completed in an initial two-week period to allow the road to be reopened by the 5th June, 2016.

This would be Normal daytime working will be utilised for the majority of the improvement works, this being Monday to Friday; 07.30hrs to 18.00hrs and weekends; 08.00hrs to 18.00hrs.

However, the road closure will require to be reinstated for a series of Saturday nights to allow the railway construction activities to be undertaken during a full possession of the railway (when no trains are running) and as such night time working will be utilised between 22.00hrs and 08.00hrs on the following dates;

Saturday nights in May; 28th

Saturday nights in June; 4th / 11th / 18th / 25th

Saturday nights in July; 2nd

How will we manage the impact on our neighbours?

We recognise that construction work on the railway can be disruptive to those living or working nearby. The nature of our work often means some disturbance is unavoidable, but please be assured that every effort is made to minimise any unnecessary noise and we have reminded all staff and contractors to be considerate of the environment they are working in.

How can I find out more?

We are holding a drop-in session, when members of the project team will be on hand to answer your questions.

Venue: Chipping Sodbury Town Hall, Broad Street, BS37 6AD

Date: on Tuesday, 15th March

Time: from 4.00 pm to 8.00 pm.

Contact Us

I hope this information is helpful and we apologise in advance for any inconvenience these essential works may cause. However, if you have any additional questions or concerns about the work taking place in your area please call our dedicated 24-hour National Helpline on: 03457 11 41 41 or visit www.networkrail.co.uk/contactus

For further information: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/great-western-route-modernisation/south-gloucestershire/

Queens 90th Birthday 2016

The Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire, Dame Janet Trotter (who also covers South Gloucestershire), is organising an event to celebrate the Queen’s 90 th birthday next year.

The event is likely to be held in Thornbury and on Friday 22 April 2016. With regard to those to be invited, I would be very grateful for your assistance and any information you can provide on the following:

1 – Are you aware of any of your parishioners who will be 90 on 21 April 2016.

2 – Are you aware of any of your parishioners who will already be in their 90s next year.

3 – Are you aware of any voluntary groups / charities who you think should be invited.

Many thanks for your help, this would be much appreciated.

Fiona Thornton – Clerk

UPDATE: South Gloucestershire Local Plan: Policies, Sites and Places Plan (PSP Plan)

The PSP Plan is the final document in completing the up to date Local Plan for South Gloucestershire. The PSP Plan will replace the Minerals and Waste Local Plan (2002) and the South Gloucestershire Local Plan (2006). It contains a range of development management policies and a number of sites for a variety of land uses. It will be used to guide the determination of planning applications over the plan period, which is to 2027.


Update

I am writing to update you on progress with the Policies, Sites and Plan. As you may remember, South Gloucestershire Council published its proposed submission PSP Plan, accompanied by a Sustainability Appraisal (SA), a document setting out the changes to the Policies Map and a Main Issues Statement, for formal public consultation in summer 2015.

At that time, the intention had been to submit the plan and supporting documents, to the Secretary of State for examination by an independent Inspector, in October 2015.
However, following the outcome of a planning appeal relating to a residential scheme in Charfield, where the Inspector concluded that the Council cannot demonstrate a five year supply of deliverable housing land, additional work is required on the Plan.
This additional work is necessary in order to address the shortfall in supply of land for residential development, which needs to be made good in order for the plan to proceed through an Examination in Public.
This work is being carried out to ensure development in South Gloucestershire remains plan-led. Work on identifying additional housing allocations and designating Local Green Spaces need to be considered together, as some sites have been proposed for both.
Following the informal consultation that took place over summer 2015 on nominated Local Green Spaces, newly identified landowners affected by nominated spaces will be contacted.


Consultation

We intend to undertake further public consultation starting in November 2015 on the approach that will be taken to address the shortfall in the five year housing land supply, you will receive information on where consultation material can be viewed and how to respond in due course.
All representations made during the summer 2015 consultation on the proposed submission version of the PSP Plan (dated March 2015) will be made available online, and advice on the weight that decision-takers can now give to the different policies of the PSP Plan, in accordance with national planning policy, will be provided.
In line with the revised timetable, the Council will bring forward a revised Proposed Submission Policies, Sites and Places Plan for formal public consultation (in line with Regulations 19 and 20) in summer 2016.
Please note that all of the comments we received on the proposed submission PSP Plan (dated March 2015) during the summer 2015 will still be taken into consideration and put to the appointed Inspector as part of the examination next year. The Council will write to all respondents asking for confirmation that they still wish their comments to be considered by the appointed Inspector, therefore avoiding the need to re-submit the representation again.
All additional information submitted through the Regulation 18 informal consultation on the nominated Local Green Spaces during the summer 2015 will be used to confirm which spaces are suitable for designation. These will be detailed in the revised Proposed Submission Policies, Sites and Places Plan due for consultation in summer 2016.
Information relating to the Policies, Sites and Places Plan, can be viewed on the Council’s website atwww.southglos.gov.uk/policiessitesandplaces.
If you have any questions, or would like further information about the Policies, Sites and Places Plan, please contact the Strategic Planning Policy Team at PlanningLDF@southglos.gov.uk or alternatively on 01454 863469.

Council choose not to go ahead with Cafe and Toilets at Bitterwell Lake

The decision not to continue with the provision of cafe & toilets at Bitterwell lake was a unanimous decision by all councillors present. The decision was made purely on a financial basis.

Although South Glos council had approved the planning application for the building what many people do not seem to appreciate is that the investment for the project was coming solely from Westerleigh Parish Council.

Unfortunately once estimates had been received from contractors the proposed costs were far in excess of the original budget.

It was felt that the Parish Council could not justify spending so much of parishioners money on this facility.

To Parents of Pre-school children and fellow Parishioners

To Parents of Pre-school children and fellow Parishioners

I don’t have to remind you that a lot has happened over the last few months which has led to a break down in the working relationship between the Coalpit Heath Pre-school and the Management of Manor Hall.  At the heart of this maelstrom stand a group of children who just need relaxed, happy Pre-school provision.  I am looking for your support in my endeavours to frame a more acceptable situation to be in place for them in September.

As a priority I wish to support the smooth transition between Pre-school and ‘big school’ for this year’s leavers.  It is the least the children deserve and our responsibility as adults is to ensure this.  Secondary to this I am seeking to facilitate a less stressful environment for the remaining children at the Pre-school.

I am releasing this statement with the full consent of both Pre-school and Trustees with whom negotiations are in progress.  These negotiations are private, not secret and joint statements will be released at the appropriate times.

With your forbearance I hope you will allow me to pursue this objective unfettered by negative emotions and comment.  In return I promise to be transparent regarding the results of any progress made.  I realise this is asking for a lot of trust from all concerned but can assure you that my motivation is to act on behalf of the children of our community.

I respectfully request that if you wish to make comment about this that you do so directly to me via Manor Hall or Pre-school as I will not be responding to any fb posts at this time.

Wendy Silcock

On behalf of Coalpit Heath Pre-school and Trustees of Manor Hall

Westerleigh United Charities

Are you, a relative or a neighbour may be eligible for a payment from the Charities.

What is it?

The Trustees of Westerleigh United Charities administer funds which have been bequeathed to the Parish by a number of benefactors since the seventeenth century.

Every June, the Trustees make an annual distribution from the interest on these funds to those people in the Parish, usually elderly, who are needy and for whom a little extra helps.

Westerleigh United Charities may also make small one off grants to deserving young people under the age of 21, who live in the parish of Westerleigh and who are entering into apprenticeships or training, to assist with the purchase of books, tools or equipment.

Who can apply?

You have to live in the Parish of Westerleigh and have done so for a minimum period of 3 years. For the annual grant, you should be a pensioner or have a disability and need a little extra to help you manage. For the one off grant, you should be under 21 and need a little extra to help you with the purchase of books, tools or equipment.

How do I apply?

If you would like more details or you wish to receive an application form, you can contact the Clerk to the Charities:

Colin Hawkins, 1 Rushton Drive, Coalpit Heath, Bristol BS36 2PJ or telephone 01454 776378.

The next closing date for applications is 30 April 2015.

Area Forum – investigation into further traffic calming in Westerleigh

The investigation into further traffic calming measures on Westerleigh Road between the railway bridge and Broad Lane and on Shorthill Road was chosen (at the latest Area Forum meeting) as one of the investigation schemes.

This means that the investigation will be carried out in the 2015/16 financial year and the outcome will then go on the list for consideration for funding at the Area Forum this time next year.